Sergio García quits PGA Tour for breakaway Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series

Sergio Garca resigned from the PGA Tour to join the Saudi Arabian-backed LIV Golf Series, which begins this week in Hertfordshire.

The Guardian knows Garca, Louis Oosthuizen, Branden Grace, and Charl Schwartzel all left the PGA Tour before of the $25m LIV event. 

The quartet's management has yet to react, but US sources confirmed the position. Na made the announcement on Saturday.

Golfers are withdrawing themselves off the member list to avoid potential penalties from golf's main tours, which could influence their ability to compete in majors.

Garca's exit from the PGA Tour, where he was a fan favourite and 11-time winner, is remarkable.

Garca, Schwartzel, Oosthuizen, and Grace reportedly do not support the DP World Tour, formerly the European Tour. Any golfer who tees off on Thursday in England will be in violation of PGA Tour rules.

There's no clarification about possible sanctions. Speculation surrounds prohibitions. DP World didn't release its players to play at Centurion but has said nothing publicly. Ryder Cup icon Garca would normally be a captain.

Garca hinted at this eventuality during a spat with a rules official last month. The 42-year-old can't wait to end the trip. Garca's PGA Tour earnings total $54.4m (£43.5m). He's 57th in the world golf rankings.

Garca said he should be able to fight wherever he wants earlier this year in Dubai. Bans affect the game, he claimed. "People want to see us play everywhere, so I hope that won't be an issue."

Phil Mickelson won't retire from the PGA Tour before his return at Centurion. Lifemember. Mickelson told si.com before flying to the UK that his betting once became problematic. 

Mickelson's gambling was reckless and embarrassing. "I addressed it. I've addressed it for years. And counselling. I'm happy. My family and I are financially secure.